Up My App Conference 2021. Recap
Online conference Up My App was dedicated to mobile apps case studies on App Store Optimization (ASO) and Apple Search Ads (ASA). We listened to all the speeches and summarized the ones from Neatpeak RadASO, Flo, and Mail.ru Group, highlighting the key points.
How to create a text ASO that actually works? Raters case study as an example
The Netpeak RadASO team was able to increase the traffic of the Raters app 35 times with ASO. Tips based on this case study:
1. Find the app’s points of growth
For that, you need to collect competitors by niche before starting work (number of installs, position in a niche), analyze the old metadata of the project: identify how many locales are involved and what errors you have had. For example, Raters did not cover all the locales, and they had duplicate metadata in the existing locales. It is also worth looking at the current positions of the app in different countries, choosing top-priority locales and making a plan for several months (at the moment, 39 locales and 31 languages are available on the App Store, (there are three variants of English, two — of French, Portuguese and Chinese).
Top-priority locales are the most attractive in terms of installs and revenues. You need to make a list and compare them with detected errors in metadata and current positions.
2. The text ASO checklist on the App Store
- Collect a semantic core. Take advice from the ASA on competitors (you can view them in Apple Search Ads on old accounts), collect suggestions. Then we brush up and enhance the list, starting from the relevance and competitiveness of keywords. You can also launch Discovery campaigns in ASA.
- Break keywords into words. It’s important to use precise keyword chains. You can use cross-localization to cover more keywords. For instance, in Ukraine there are three locales: EN (UK), UA и RU).
- Analyze data after releasing: positions, traffic, and conversion rate. Look for causality (the traffic growth may not always be caused by ASO, it may be too).
3. ASA for ASO
You can find new queries for the semantic core with the help of Discovery campaigns. It’s the campaigns with the Search match setting. It means that Apple will display you by all keywords it deems to be relevant. It’s better to check the keyword relevance and popularity.
Culturalization: two approaches to preparing screenshots for different countries
Flo works with eight localizations. After culturalization, the growth of installs was up to 15%. There are two ways of working with culturalization: with the help of a native speaker and with the help of research. Flo combines both methods.
Culturalization is not just a translation, it’s also an optimization of texts, visual elements, screenshots and features for each taken country. One creative can produce brilliant results in one country and terrible in another.
Culturalization with the help of a native speaker
The most difficult thing is the choice of a native speaker. A lot of options. Whoever you choose, the results may be deplorable: the translator may not have experience in ASO, understanding of mobile industry and marketing or he may just not know the app well enough. That’s why you need to explain:
- What is ASO (show some examples and case studies);
- What your app is about;
- What results you want to achieve;
- What you have already tried;
- What Brand and Legal restrictions you have (if you have them).
Ask a native speaker to point out: mistakes in translation, strange wording, text matches the image in the screenshot, odd pictures, harsh colors or insults.
Culturalization with the help of research: where to find ideas?
Analysis of your app: usage statistics (what is the difference between user behaviour in different countries, what content users like more, what they interact with more often), popular topics in reviews (what users appreciate, what is important and what is not).
Analysis of the App Store/Google Play: what exactly your competitors did, if they have already done something. You can also analyze apps from other categories (you can see cool screenshots features or the difference in localizations).
The outside world: study cultural characteristics through ads, books, YouTube videos, cultural research, UA creatives.
You need to be clear about your ideas — formulate a hypothesis. Let’s say you change this element and this and that happens. Test each hypothesis separately.
The case study: ‘The situation in the country‘
Context: users in Brazil pay attention to the chances of getting pregnant on a specific day.
The hypothesis: if we add screenshots with the information about chances of getting pregnant on a specific day, the conversion from view to install will increase.
Result: BR +7,5%
Development of ASO strategies for different types of traffic. Case studies of mobile games and apps
First, you need to analyze the traffic sources. Different apps have their priority sources. Each of them (Search, Explore, Paid traffic) has its own strategy. We made guidelines for working with the first two:
Strategies to drive Search traffic:
- Brand building. 80% of traffic is branded traffic. Tips: put the brand name on the icon, duplicate marketing offers in the screenshots, try to get into the top 1-3 of most relevant queries.
- Search visibility growth.
- CR growth by keywords. Keywords must be relevant and supported by graphics, so that it is clear if this is, for example, an RPG game or a zombie shooter.
- Boost due to seasonal ASO. Tips: prepare product updates, add relevant seasonal keywords, announce seasonal updates in graphics, and remember about a united «UA+ASO+Product» funnel.
Strategies to drive Explore traffic:
- Similar Apps Visibility growth. Analyze the full description with the GNL API to understand which category you belong to. The hit index must be at least 0.8; it is also better to adapt the full description to the categories of competitors, adapt text and graphics to relevant competitors, manage reviews and ratings, and increase the number of installs.
- Growth of positions in the top charts and categories. You should work with ratings and reviews, customize visual elements to category trends, maintain seasonal ASO, follow store guidelines, and work on full description in GNL. Tips: choose a relevant but less competitive category, work on the number of installs and on the Retention Rate.
- Traffic growth from getting featured. To do this, you also need to work with ratings and reviews, monitor high-quality graphics, maintain seasonal ASO and follow store guidelines. Plus, you need to localize your product in leading markets.
Explore the topics of all speeches and get access to the recording of the conference on the Up My App site.