Comparative analysis in ASO: how to become the first?
Hi Guys! April 15th we had a webinar «Comparative analysis in ASO: how to become the first?». Now you can watch the record with subs or read some excerpts from it. But keep in mind that the abstract is very short and there is no analysis of the apps that users sent us before the webinar.
Webinar record 👀
Why do you need to track competitors?
- You have to realize that every year the chances of uniqueness are reduced – a competitor can easily copy your app. In this context, the main advantage is in the formal championship. You should seek to be better. Based on what your competitors are doing, you are trying to improve your product and thereby overtake your competitors to be even cooler and attract new users.
- If we are talking about an idea or perhaps about entering a new market, then comparative analysis helps to assess the potential of a niche or a specific country. In some categories, there is no traffic at all. In others, traffic can only be branded. So, if you have a small budget, it will be difficult to get to the top there. You should do this preliminary analysis and understand whether you can rival in the category or not.
- It is necessary to monitor the keywords of competitors, positions they occupy, their dynamics, updates. You have to know who use motivated traffic to adjust your strategy and not rely heavily on some keys. Track if the competitor actively buys external traffic as well. You should do it on an ongoing basis.
How to track competitors?
There are two main approaches: manual and automatic.
Manual methods in store
Recommendations, categories, and similar apps in the store. You look at which positions competitors are held, keys, and so on. Some apps (social nets, dating-related) can be scattered into different categories.
Automatic: platforms for working with ASO
ASOindex (our tool, which is free at all trials). It’s an ASO indicator from 1 to 10, which is based on our complicated algorithm. Each item that we evaluate has its own specific coefficient. You can track your competitors ASOindex as well. The right competitors are already selected for you by the way.
- Plus we recommend tools like Sensor Tower, where you can estimate the level of installs for the last month and learn how many new users come to your competitor on average. This will help to build your monetization strategy.
How to track keywords?
There are three sections on Checkaso where you can work with keywords.
- This section was created so that you can add your competitors. In the table, you will see the keywords by which your competitors are indexed, but you are not.
- The section where you can enter any keyword that you saw at a competitor to observe its popularity. Also, you can learn the number of apps in the search results. Filter the number of words in the keyword. If you need some of the most popular short keys, then you take one or two words. Search Volume can also be filtered.
- Go there after you found the keywords, analyzed all your competitors, added all the keys to your «Analysis» section. You can see each keyword, its popularity, and the ranking of the selected competitors in this section. It’s very convenient to quickly assess, especially with daily tracking.
How to do the comparative analysis on our platform?
- First of all, we mean a comparative analysis of the app’s page, when you can evaluate graphic elements, text elements, ratings, updates. In our «Comparative analysis» section, you can also learn graphic elements on all possible devices, if we are talking about the App Store.
- Also, you can filter by dates and app’s versions. For example, you know that in a certain version your competitor has changed something. There was a jump in installs or a jump in the rating or the number of reviews. You can go in, select this version by date and learn what has been changed on the app’s page, in the metadata.
How to analyze reviews in order to improve the rating and get ideas?
First of all, we need to look at negative reviews. Because there is usually much more information about what the developer did wrong. So you should learn competitors bad reviews not to repeat these mistakes. It is worth paying attention to reviews with as much text as possible.
Also, you should look at how the competitor works with these reviews, what he does. And if a competitor does it well, then these negative reviews are often corrected at five. Our advice is: if someone put a negative one and you corrected the error, write to the person about it. You should definitely ask him to correct the review.
At the «Rating and review» section you can search reviews by version, rating (any number of stars), status (answered, not answered, updated), and by word to get insights and learn problems your competitor has.
We are always glad to receive a few words from you at [email protected]. Suggest topics for the next webinars, share your thoughts. 😊 By the way, you can subscribe to our newsletters on the right not to miss the announcements of the next broadcasts. Good luck!